Your child’s learning and development are important to Montessori Reggio Academy, which is why our private school in Sugar Land, Texas follows the key principles of the Montessori method. These methods are independence, observation, following and correcting the child, prepared environment, and absorbent mind.
- Independence. Camp Montessori believes that self-belief, self-confidence, and self-esteem are products of independence, which is why we give them opportunities to practice it by doing simple tasks like dressing themselves or helping adults.
- Observation. This usually happens in pre-primary. Adults observe their children and learn the things they need and like. Knowing these allows them to grant their children their needs and pursue their interests.
- Following and Correcting the Child. It is accomplished by giving children choices to choose from. Support them along the way unless it becomes destructive to them and others. If they did something wrong, there’s no need to raise your voice or point out their mistakes. Rather, show them or tell them the right thing to do.
- Prepared Environment. Our preschool and elementary campus in Texas are equipped with classrooms for children to collaboratively work. We refer to their activities as work because it involves both learning and enjoyment. Our learning environment is safe and beautiful so it can invite productivity.
- Absorbent Mind. This is more stimulated in the first six years of their lives. This is a phase of learning both unconsciously and consciously, especially language, so it’s important we give them a good, nice, and positive environment and become more careful of our language as they can retain more and long-term information during this phase.